I’m in the midst of reading “I know this much is true” by Wally Lamb. It’s really depressing.
Spoilers after the break.
Holy crap this book is depressing. Every horrible thing that could ever happen appears to have happened in this book. Let’s list them out. So I present to you… the list of misery – organized in no particular order.
The list of misery.
1. little girl kidnapped, molested, and murdered
3. self mutilation – boy cuts of hand in a library in a slow painful process
4. car crash
5. sudden infant death syndrome
6. death by cancer – “6 months to live”
7. abusive dad
8. target of childhood mockery with a cleft lip
9. child pornography ring
10. drug addiction/usage
11. molestation of a mother in front of her children
13. prison abuse
16. deep rooted guilt
17. unfulfilled/failed moments of kindness
18. the draft – the misery of war
19. molestation of children by hitchhikers
21. backstabbing of loved ones
I was just thinking about how I hadn’t seen any suicide… and then BANG. The next chapter had a guy with a gun in his mouth.
There has also been no sign of incest, so that’s good.
I think I might add to this list as I continue through the book. Man. How depressing.