The odometer on the Phoenix broke today, just like the Diva. It was stuck at 180173. Upon noticing this, I groaned because I would lose my ability to track mpg. But then suddenly, about 14 miles later, it started working again. It had regenerated itself. Just like the Berserker Trolls in Warcraft II. That’s right. You know what I’m talking about.
In other news we went climbing last night for the first time since… probably June. There was a girl at the gym with Fantastic climbing pants. They were really great pants. well fit at the waist, but perfectly baggy to allow for climbing maneuvers. I don’t think my eyes have ever seen such perfect pants. I should have told her how much I appreciated her pants, but I don’t really know how to tell someone that I think their pants are awesome without sounding extremely strange. If I see Fantastic Pants Girl at the gym again and she happens to be wearing those great pants, I will have to make sure I throw my self conscience aside and let her know that her efforts for Bauhaus-like ‘style via functionality’ did not go unnoticed.
8 thoughts on “Like the Diva… but different”
1. Sweet reference on the beserker trolls
2. Go for it. Tell her about your affinity for her pants. That’s a great ice breaker.
Whoa bad idea… if you tell her you like her pants she’s def. gonna think you’ve been checking out her butt..
KFO, girls like that. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t wear pants/shorts with stuff written on the back (e.g. Phi Sig Sig) that forces you to read it, hence checking out their butt.
That is certainly the risk. But, she may have appreciated it. she HAD to have put thought into this pants selection. In fact her general Climbing style was pretty much top notch.
I have noticed seven or so types of rock climbing fashions
1. The Gym Rat Buff Type: shorts, tight shirt, clothing that showcases the bod
2. The Awkward Foreigner Type: purple spandex, loose shirt from the 80’s
3. The Climbing Fashion Elite: Name brands galore – the abercrombie of climbing
4. The Authentic Grunge Type: Baggy, Earth tones, often accompanied by dreads
5. The Non-Climber Beginner Type: Jeans and a collared shirt
6. The Fashionable yet Natural Type: Obviously comfortable digs, plenty of personality without the necessary need for name brand
7. The Comfort No-Care Type: Completely functional. Uncaring of styles.
I think this girl would fall into 6. Certainly a respectable catagory.
regardless of her attractive features, her pants were A+
The big thing, though, MikeD, are the pants suitable for the placing of one key into a pocket to hold the entire key chain?
Great to hear about the Fame. You should totally add a piece of tape on which you’ve written “+14” right next to the odo.
When it comes to telling girls, I’ve found that taking the exact opposite of my advice is usually the best. That said, I reccomend taking a look at the tag on her pants when her back’s to you, but make sure to grab a little butt “accidentally” when you’re doing it. The awkward conversation that continues is bound to get you some digits!
Coming from your average sketchmo (e.g. me) checking out a girl’s butt would be the obvious conclusion. But they’re something so innocent and boyscoutish coming from Mike D. that I don’t think a girl could get offended at ANYTHING he says.
Why don’t you say something like, “Hey, I know this is really weird, but I really like your climbing pants – who makes them? Where did you get them?”